- deadline induced
- postpone in favor of activity with earlier deadline
- importance induced
- postpone in favor of activity with higher importance
- importance measure? money, reputation impact
2) Cost of the context switch
- time quantum not long enough to finish the activity (depends on time estimates)
- can be avoided with careful context store&load on interrupt/resume
3) Spacetime block
- not proper place
- activity is bound to certain place => move to that place
- waiting for end of another activity
- waiting for resource (occupied, non-existent)
- try buy, multiply, strengthen,… the resource
- activities where lack of attention could lead to damage, loses, etc.
- solution: have a rest (and then fulfill the activity), use drugs
- reordering makes for better time/resource utilization
- by reducing transfers, context switches,…
- be aware of “premature optimization” – i.e. rather work than over-plan
- Warning It’s also important to have an external source if interrupts to
allow at least scheduling the activities (aka non-cooperative scheduling).
- Do you still have more than one activity to do? The you must optimize (e.g.
- Deadline and blocking activity form a launch window.